Poker is a card game in which players bet into a communal pot during the course of a hand, and in which the player holding the best hand at the end of the betting wins the pot. All poker hands contain five cards. The highest hand wins.
The cards are ranked (from high to low) Ace, King, Queen, Jack, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, Ace. Ace can be high or low, but is usually high. There are four suits--spades, hearts, diamonds and clubs--and no suit is higher than another.
Texas Hold 'Em is currently the most popular poker game in the United States. Many large poker tournaments, such as the World Series of Poker, are Hold 'Em games. Seven-Card Stud is another popular tournament game. There are literally hundreds of other variations of poker games, including Omaha, Indian Poker, and Chicago.
® is a free online game show--only available at Gamesville.com! Race against the clock and other people to create winning video poker hands from the cards you're dealt. Draw the JACKPOT CARD to win the prize.
Poker Inferno® is a Gamesville original. In this massively multiplayer poker game, you score points by betting how well your hands will play out. To win, score the most points at the end of the game.
Fun Poker Facts & Poker Trivia
- The origin of the name "poker" is uncertain. It may come from the German verb pochen, meaning to brag or bluff.
- The suits in playing cards represent the four classes of men in French society: Spades represent nobility, Diamonds represent merchants, Clubs represent peasants, and Hearts the clergy.
- Legend holds that Wild Bill Hickok was shot to death during a poker game in Deadwood, South Dakota, and that the hand he held was two pair, black aces and black eights. The fifth card is not known for certain. This hand is called the "dead man's hand."
Poker is commonly played with a standard 4-suit 52-card deck.
Hands are usually ranked as follows:
Quick-Draw Poker free
- Straight flush: Five cards of the same suit in sequence. Ranked by the top card, so that AKQJT is the best straight flush, also called a royal flush. The ace can play low to make 5432A, the lowest straight flush.
- Four of a kind: Four cards of the same rank plus a fifth "kicker". Ranked by the quads, so that 44442 beats 3333K.
- Full house: Three cards of one rank accompanied by two of another, such as 888JJ.
- Flush: Five cards of the same suit. Ranked by the top card, and then by the next card, and so on for all five cards.
- Straight: Five cards in sequence, such as 76543. The ace plays either high or low.
- Three of a kind: Three cards of the same rank and two kickers of different ranks.
- Two pair: Two cards of one rank, two cards of another rank and a kicker of a third rank, such as KK449. Ranked by the top pair, then the bottom pair and the kicker.
- One pair: Two cards of one rank accompanied by three kickers of different ranks. Ranked by the pair, followed by each kicker.
- High card: Any hand that does not qualify as one of the better hands above, such as KJ542 of mixed suits. Ranked by the top card, then the second card and so on for all five cards. Suits are not used to break ties.
See more free games, more download games and a whole lot more at Gamesville.com